A hamlet to the north of Derby, dominated by Kedleston Hal. The hall, designed by Robert Adam is a splendid Georgian house in extensive grounds with a large lake. The National Trust now owns this house though the Curzen family still have apartments in the house. Sir Nathaniel Curzon began the building work in 1759. The marble hall with its columns of pink knotted Nottinghamshire alabaster and white ceiling is overwhelming to say the least. In the little church in Kedleston village are the tombs of the Curzen's. The last to George Curzen viceroy of India, member of Lloyd George's war cabinet 1916-1918, foreign secretary and his wife Mary, daughter of a Chicago millionaire.
Arial photo map of Kedleston courtesy of Multrmap.co.uk (Hint - click on "overlay map" in the left pane)
(Photos to come)
Kedleston Hall - Cresswell site
to villages menu
to site home page - www.ashbourne-town.com