Blore Rae

The hamlet of Blore comprises Blore Hall (belonging to Holiday Property Bond), St Bartholomew's Church, the Old Rectory, a few other houses and several farms.

The ecclesiastical parish is Blore Ray with Okeover and the civil parish Blore-with-Swinscoe, both with slightly different boundaries.

Blore Hall was the home of the Bassett family, from whom the Queen is descended; William Bassett, the last of the male line, died in 1601 and his magnificent alabaster tomb, erected by his wife about 1630, can be seen in the church.

The hall was first mentioned in 1331, though only one building remains substantially unaltered since 1661.

Blore Church was built around 1100 and is Grade 1 listed. Apart from the Bassett tomb, it has remained virtually unchanged for almost 400 years. It was extensively restored between 1994 and 1997 and is well worth a visit.

blore01.jpg
Blore Hall
39.96 Kb
blore02.jpg
St Bartholomew's
36.77 Kb

Accommodation Locally

Want a banner ad here? Contact the webmaster


 



 

to villages menu

to site home page - www.ashbourne-town.com